Going Green is not just a trend. It’s a priority for all of us if we want to continue to live on a beautiful, life-giving planet. Thinking of ways of going green, however, is not always easy. Just because we buy organic food and recycle doesn’t necessarily mean we’re making much of a practical impact. We need to have a whole plan for Going Green. One element in that plan should be buying eco-friendly products or Pico-Union. But how do we find eco-friendly products? Well, one way is to buy products made from renewable resources.
Buying products made from renewable resources should be a priority for each of us when going green. These types of eco-friendly products insure that we don’t use earth’s resources too quickly. We need to let our planet replenish it’s natural resources at the same rate as we are consuming them.
So, what are good eco-friendly products– products made from renewable resources?
Here’s a list of 10 types of products made from renewable resources:
1. Paper products- while these should be used sparingly, they are better than plastic in that they are biodegradable and come from renewable trees
2. Cotton products
3. Spudware- biodegradable cutlery made from potatoes, corn, and soy oils
4. Solar energy- solar panels on your house, solar battery chargers, etc.
5. Bio-based tableware- for example, plates and bowls made by Earthshell
6. Bamboo products- bamboo furniture, bamboo cotton clothes, etc. (a good alternative to other tree products, as bamboo is highly renewable because of it’s fast rate of growth)
7. Digital products- Highly reproducible, long-lasting, only needing the support of electricity
8. Wind energy- support wind energy development in your city, county, and state; consider getting electricity from wind power at your home.
9. Bio-based fuels- while not always the most sustainable option, they are renewable
10. Plant-based cleaners- great products made from renewable resources to help you in going green and healthier for your body
Here are 5 products not made from renewable resources that should be avoided:
1. Plastics- while renewable plastics are being researched, currently plastics are made from petroleum a non-renewable resource
2. Many paper cups and plates- while the paper is renewable, the plastic coating is from petroleum and makes the product take about 500 years to biodegrade
3. Wood in furniture or other products from old-growth rainforests- while these are technically renewable, the amount of carbon released into the environment and the incredibly slow rate at which they replenish themselves makes them for all practical purposes non-renewable and definitely not eco-friendly products.
4. Energy from oil and coal- gasoline products and coal-based energy are highly non-renewable; unfortunately, much of our electricity currently comes from coal. Consider the switch to solar or wind energy in your home as your first big step in going green.
So continue on the path to going green by changing your purchasing habits. Decide to buy products made from renewable resources.
House Cleaning With Eco-Friendly Products and Pico-Union
Eco-friendly massage products are becoming an essential part of the massage industry. From the oils to the actual table that you are on while getting the massage, products are more green than ever.
Here are a few products that are used by massage therapists and are enjoyed by the person receiving the massage:
Scandle Candles LLC offers candles that also can be used as massage oil. The Mother Nature Network offers these candles that are very natural and bring warm light to the therapy room without putting pollutants into the air. These candles are chemical free and all natural and have neutral scents like honey and beeswax. The candles that melt to make massage oil are made from all natural, moisturizing soy.
Earthlite massage tables are manufactured by an environmentally conscious company and are made from farm raised wood instead of wood found in the rain forest. They are very high quality and have a lifetime warranty. Their motto is, to produce high quality products for the better of mankind. These tables are handmade in the Earthlite factories. The price is comparable to other massage tables of this quality. They are highly recommended by massage therapists.
Sweet Grass Farms offers laundry detergents, linen spray for the massage room and fabric softeners for the linens. All of these components are what a true eco-friendly masseuse would wash their laundry in and spray in their massage rooms. If you have natural products you do not want to launder them in a product that has a lot of chemicals. These products are all natural and are offered in lemon verbena and lavender.
Natura massage products are made from certified cotton, bamboo, hemp and other natural products. The bamboo bed sheets and bamboo spa wraps are environmentally friendly. This is also good news for the rainforest. Hemp and bamboo are two of the world's most renewable sources for wood and raw material for fabric.
Trade Key products offer a variety of massage creams, lotions and massage oils that are made of all natural ingredients. These are made from soy, milk and other natural ingredients. There are no preservatives or parabens in the products either, which few companies can promise.
It is important to remember that pregnant women should only have a massage with all natural ingredients like lavender, almond oil, lemon verbena, milk and various other products. Luckily, many spas offer a variety of natural products for pregnant women and eco-friendly consumers alike.
Natural products are very popular because they are healthier. With so many people suffering from allergies, it is best to avoid chemicals all together. If you are going to receive a massage or any service related to health, do yourself the favor and use products that are eco-friendly and chemical free.
The next time you are going in for a massage, rest, relax and enjoy but first ask for eco-friendly products so that you can enjoy your massage and so can Mother Earth.
House Cleaning With Eco-Friendly Products
There are typically three types of eco-friendly clothing:
• Organic cotton clothing
• Bamboo clothing
• Hemp clothing
The one most people are familiar with is organic clothing, or organic cotton. As a nation, we have grown up on cotton without understanding the damage traditional cotton can do to our environment. Traditional cotton takes a ton of water to sustain, using up precious resources. Cotton is also doused with pesticides and insecticides that leach into our earth and our waterways and damage beneficial wildlife such as bees, birds, deer and more. Buying organic or eco-friendly clothing or products is a decision that helps preserve the earth.
Each product has its own benefits and some have a few drawbacks. Before you buy any eco-friendly clothing, be sure to know what you're buying before you spend your hard earned money.
Organic Cotton Clothing:
• Grown without pesticides and insecticides
• Great alternative to traditional cotton
• Feels, looks and acts like traditional cotton
• Cotton consumes a lot of water, so can deplete natural resources
• Be sure to check the company as some companies offer organic that is only a certain percent organic. Look for a 100% organic guarantee
• Is a sustainable resource
• Can be grown organically
• Can grow in almost any climate
• Feels silky smooth
• Wicks moisture and is anti-microbial
• Biodegrades more quickly than oil-based synthetics
• Check for organic growing procedures
• UV resistant
• Can be grown organically
• Fibers are stronger than cotton
• Offers UV protection
• Wicks moisture
• Similar to linen
• Still illegal to grow in most of the US
Know you know the basics of a variety of eco-friendly products and clothing, you can make an informed decision as to which is best for you. I recommend trying all three.
Fortunately there's an eco-fashion trend in this country that is bringing about organic clothing with style. Products generally cost no more than typical clothing, in the Banana Republic, Abercrombie, Nordstrom price ranges. You can also find less expensive environmentally friendly clothing by starting with something as simple as an organic t-shirt or organic underwear or diapers. Eco organic clothing even comes in baby sizes and as baby's skin is extremely sensitive, putting organic next to their skin is something they will thank you for.
Consider organic an investment not only in yourself but also in the future of the health of our earth. You can make a difference to the health of our planet.
Pico-Union Best Green Cleaning Products